Sunday, January 18

RVA's 2008 Year in Review: What a City

While many amazing bands, venues, artists and events of all kinds are summarized in this annual issue of RVA Magazine, (I would have to copy and paste the entire magazine to showcase all the amazing folks mentioned) I couldn't help but notice that they forgot to include both Nara and Rumors in this compilation issue. Both locations helped save the live music scene in this city over the past 2 years, by hosting live shows of all genres (from hip hop, to jazz, to metal) multiple times a week on top of their normal business operations and (not to be biased) should have been noted.


However, take a look at these wonderful entries...


I was lucky enough to work with Nick Ghobashi on October's skate photoshoot, and every word I wrote about him in the following summary is the absolute truth. Check out his site at http://www.scatterbrainphoto.com



I am so, so glad Dominion got some love. This store still feels like home to me, and Kim and Maurey have done so much for this city, from organizing skate demos and movie premieres, to simply giving kids a place to lurk when they've got nowhere else decent to be.



And of course we can't forget about Henry. Rudy helped me out with sound for my 1st ever fashion show when I was still in VCU, and Billy has withstood through many of my post-mimosa ramblings on my walk past his store to my house. I covered their t-shirt collaboration with the Valentine Historical Center in RVA's November issue, and I know these boys will continue to make local history in months to come.


No comments: