Monday, December 8

Richmonds Own Adam Juresko: a throw back to collage art


For many years the work of Adam Jurekso had caught my eye on several occasions. I would not call myself any type of dignified art connoisseur but I do know what I like when I see it. And I'm seeing it and I love it.




When Melissa opened Nonesuch Gallery it was such an amazing outlet for young artist who wanted to make and sell art at affordable prices. Because Nonesuch was run by a fellow young artist it became a wonderful forum for people to make art for themselves and others without worrying what other students, professors or galleries had to say about their finished product. If someone wanted to make a black and white graffiti print that said "eat shit and die" you could. Someone would buy it without starring at it for hours trying to figure out what the source of inspirations was. Nonesuch helped so many people become more involved with art by making is so accessible. I saw Adam's work first at Nonesuch gallery years ago and thus began my obsession.



I met Adam Juresko years ago on Laurel street. It was at a party in the backyard of what would become the Bonezone venue years later. His glasses were bent and he was being carried on someones shoulder while drinking from a half empty bottle of whiskey and screaming what sounded like " we are here" but it sounded more like weeez arrrree hemm



Richmond has countless amazing artist. And I am lucky enough to have some of these brilliant people as my friends. Adam Juresko art is not only thought provoking but it is also visually stimulating. I own two pieces of my own and I thought it was time to bless the walls of rumors with some original work.
With his paper cutout illustrations, Adam combines craft, context, and color for a throwback to old school collage work. His work is refreshing, especially when you consider that there is an ocean of digital art out there. All images are made with xeroxed images, scissors, glue sticks, and paper. no computers."
He actually just did some work for Mountain Dew on their green label art project. Here is a video for that.



Adam Juresko captures childlike images from magazines, books and catalogues. He frees them from context and re imagines them in new settings. His works have a rough, DIY appeal. He also does flier/poster work for local music promoters Hit/Play as well as album covers for many local bands.




With his paper cutout illustrations, Adam combines craft, context, and color for a throwback to old school collage work. And did I mention he's SINGLE.. well i added that part I don't know if that is true. Richmond is very proud of you Adam.



Well come by Rumors and check out the mural. Adam will be selling a different peice of work each week in the store. Buy someone a holiday present that really matters.



$75.00 all proceeds go to the artist.


If you are interested in this piece of art please let me know 804.726.9944 info@rumorsrva.com


"...the principle of collage is the central principle of all art in the twentieth century." -- Donald Barthelme (1931-1989)


-Marshe'

No comments: