Monday, December 29

A Thief In Our Midst: An Interview with a creative richmond line



Where are you from and how long have you been living in Richmond?

I was born and raised throughout many parts of Canada. My family moved every two-three years starting in British Columbia (West Coast) heading East all the way to New Brunswick. I have been living in Richmond since August of 2007 and I love it here!

Why did you start making clothing?



I’ve always loved fashion since I was a little girl. This was really what led me into art making. When I was around eleven my Aunt gave me a book of 18th Century fashion which I loved and I would copy drawings out of that book for years. This is how I started drawing which I quickly became addicted to. In high school, I lived in a small town and would always alter my clothes because nothing appealed to me at the local mall. My Grandma would let me rummage through her closet and I would steal her awesome 70’s plaid skirts and shorten them. I also hand painted band shirts (Sonic Youth, Bikini Kill, Jesus Lizard, etc) for myself and friends who couldn’t afford to buy them. After high school I went to art school in Canada for my BFA and to NYC at Parsons for my MFA and really stopped making clothes altogether. After I moved to Richmond I had a strong desire to start up again. I taught myself how to silk screen and that’s that.

3091279990_5f47f091d7

Why did you name your clothing line Thief?

I’m really drawn to cultures and traditions outside my own. I get so much inspiration from patterns and symbols from Aboriginal and Native American motifs as well as African and Indian ornamentation. I get inspired so easily and take certain elements of what I find and alter them to fit my needs. I guess I’m just being honest by calling myself Thief. It’s really just an homage to everything I love. It’s the same thing with my art. Often times I find my own background somewhat lackluster and look to something mysterious and unknown for inspiration.



Have you thought about expanding your women's line?

3090455233_6fb1a9ae25

Everyday! I really want to start printing on denim. I love a lot of printed 80’s denim especially Commes des Garcons. I saw a pair of sweet printed jeans from them in a vintage store in New York for nearly $500 and thought I could do that and make it more relevant and accessible to young people now. I also have an obsession with ponchos and would love to make some in the future…just have to figure out how to do it. I am working on a new line of t shirts/dresses for next season.

What is the process you go through when making a shirt?


I use both stencils and screen printing techniques to make my shirts. First thing I do is draw my design, scan it, and send it to the screen maker. I the stencils and I start by laying down non-toxic ink with foam rollers and finish with a screen which gives the more fine detail. Each shirt is handmade and unique.

3090460671_91a09345ae



When did you start making jewelry?


This is something I’ve done off and on my whole life.

What is the most embarrassing thing that has happen to you in the past year?


Probably getting stopped every time I cross the border into the US from Canada. For some reason, I am always sent into the back room and interrogated by shady border guards. I guess I look like a terrorist.

3090449257_55cffb6394


Who is your favorite band in Richmond?


Snack Truck

3091282902_2327dfb33d

What is your favorite Non Profit in Richmond?

YMCA

Why should people purchase your designs?

Because you are getting something that is handmade, unique, and classy as F**K!


3091306752_b0382a0ee1

Three Random facts about you?


1.I chainsaw carve.
2.My dog went from sad homeless mutt to gorgeous fashion model.
3.I play bass guitar in my band, Bush Craft.

Do you go to VCU?

Nope, but I’ll be teaching Sculpture 2 and Space Research next semester.

3090429839_8778d96e69

Where else are your items sold?

Mini Mini Market in Brooklyn on Bedford Ave, WRV in Virginia Beach, and of course…Rumors!

Interview done by Marshe Rumors. Amie's clothing and jewelry is currently available for sale at Rumors Boutique her items range from $16 to $36. Lookout for her new line of jeans, tights and bags this summer.

No comments: