Monday, June 2

LOVE/HATE

I have a love/hate relationship with Jeremy Scott. I initially was deterred from his overtly literal designs and his pop culture themes, and then, like one of those 3-D magic eye posters, I stared at his clothes long enough and with one eye closed to see something there. The silhouettes were all simple, the general idea of a distinct theme extremely apparent in the runway, and for some reason, I was attracted to how crazy he could make one tight little body con dress. Take a basic bodysuit, a commercial idea that people never associate with fashion (say, burgers and fries) and you have yourself one fantastic little party dress.




I have come to love his pop culture infused designs, how he pokes fun at America’s obsessions (food, money, luxury) by letting it completely take over his collections. And in the end, he profits because of one of America’s main obsessions: fashion. I love minimalist clothes as much as the next person, but in a sea of designers that take fashion way too seriously, it’s nice to see someone having fun. He’s not afraid to slap a huge snickers logo on a sweater or string huge plastic cookies around a model’s neck, and for that reason, I love Jeremy Scott. Why would I have a tinge of hate for him? Maybe because his clothes seem to cater to the L.A. young elite, like Lindsay Lohan. But Hollywood babes aside, I’d love to get my hands on that Mickey mouse helmet.



-melanie

No comments: