Wednesday, November 12

a Wirlwind Tour through Boston

"There's something missing here" is a phrase a came upon often when researching shops to visit during my week in Boston. Online, I was unimpressed by what city guides appeared to offer....however, during my weekend visiting my sister, I found a few fantastic spots, many of which have opened over the past 2 years. If you find yourself in Boston, here are the so-called missing links that are must-sees in the Boston shopping world.


Rescue


252 Brighton Ave. Allston, MA


www.rescuebuyselltrade.com


Rescue has only been open for a few weeks, but owners Jeralyn and Paul definitely have found a niche in the Boston boutique mix. The store was full of generously priced lightly used clothing, ranging from vintage Lord of the Rings t-shirts, to Betsy Johnson dresses. The eclectic mix of cowboy boots, well known designer sweatshirts, and plaid tops were complimented by brand new Cheap Monday jeans and jewelry by Alex & Chloe.Saving money and rescuing clothing never looked so good...





Salmagundi


765 Centre Street Jamaica Plain, MA


www.myspace.com/salmagundiboston


This place is out of this world, seriously. An accessory focused store, Salmagundi is home to many local hat, wallet and t-shirt designers. The super friendly owners could offer stories about each designer I asked about, and they were eager to show me products that they personally loved- such as a watch made out of a vintage tie, or a hand painted flask. The selection was so diverse, that any person who wanders in their door is guaranteed to find something to add to their christmas list.







My sister purchasing an awesome v-neck.


Karmaloop Boston


160 Newbury Street Boston, MA


www.karmaloop.com/boston


There's no doubt that the Karmaloop founders hold a place in my heart....from investing everything into a successful online boutique that features some of the hottest new lines right out of an unmarked office in Boston, to opening a flagship store right on Newbury Street near BCBG and Chanel....how could i not be inspired. However, visiting the shop reminded me of the first time I visited an Anthropologie store; I couldn't help but be a bit underwelmed. After years of viewing their fabulous online listings, my hopes were pretty high I guess.





The Milky Way


401 Centre Street Jamaica Plain, MA


www.milkywayjp.com


After a day of window shopping, we went to a local favorite in JP....a bar with a mini bowling alley. Many bands that have played in Rumors, such as Scream Club, have played in the Milky Way when they're up north. From the graffiti walls outside, to the crazy decor inside, not to mention offering a good selection of beer (the Sam Adams brewery is nearby), it's no wonder this place was packed.







Although I love Boston, you have to realize how lucky we are in Richmond to have so many great spots, all just a bike ride away from eachother.



No comments: